Employment Litigation and Investigations
Yarmuth Wilsdon represents private companies, public agencies, and individuals in a wide variety of employment litigation matters including those involving discrimination, retaliation, wage and hour, and non-competition or employment-contract disputes. Attorneys from Yarmuth Wilsdon have represented clients in administrative matters before state and federal agencies (including the EEOC, NLRB, PERC, Washington’s Human Rights Commission, Seattle’s Civil Service Commission, and Seattle’s Office of Civil Rights), as well as disputes before private arbitrators, and state and federal trial and appellate courts. Representative employment litigation matters include:
- Achieved favorable jury verdict in favor of large company employer on wage and hour claims brought by multiple plaintiffs.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer on claims of disability discrimination, race discrimination, and retaliation.
- Represented large, private corporation on age and gender discrimination claim. Successful resolution obtained.
- Represented construction company and individual officers in wrongful discharge, whistleblower, and retaliation case. Settlement of dismissal of all claims achieved.
- Successfully obtained relief sought or opposed injunctive relief following in-court hearings on numerous non-compete matters.
- Achieved favorable court ruling dismissing plaintiff’s claims against a local investment firm in a suit brought by its former head of equity investments who alleged he was improperly discharged and improperly denied an equity stake worth more than $10 million.
- Obtained favorable rulings in the district court and court of appeals in favor of large corporate employer on whistleblower retaliatory discharge claims brought under the False Claims Act.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in favor of municipal employer on claims for wrongful termination in violation of public policy for engaging in protected union activity, and successfully defended verdict in front of court of appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of large corporate employer on sexual harassment claims filed by a former employee.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of CEO and employer on claims for breach of severance agreement and willful nonpayment of wages.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer on claims of age and disability discrimination.
- Obtained injunctive relief against employees on claims relating to non-competes and trade secret misappropriation.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of employer on claims of retaliation and successfully defended ruling in the court of appeals.
- Represented employers in defense of wage and hour class actions brought in state and federal court.
- Represented brokerage firm in non-compete litigation involving newly hired brokers including defending against TRO/preliminary injunction proceedings in federal court.
- Represented local marketing company and its president/CEO in an employment discrimination and retaliation lawsuit.
- Counsel for public entities on labor arbitration matters with successful resolutions.
Yarmuth Wilsdon understands that employment investigations are increasingly important in the workplace. Our attorneys have significant experience conducting investigations for public and private employers on a variety of employment-related issues, ranging from issues of employee misconduct to violations of law. We understand the importance of a high-quality investigation in addressing employee conduct and maintaining high employee morale, as well as in defending employment litigation. We work closely with our clients to ensure the scope of our investigation meets the client’s needs and expectations, while at the same time maintaining our independence as investigators. Recent investigations include:
- Investigations for Seattle Public Schools on a variety of employment-related investigations, including investigations regarding allegations of bullying in the workplace, illegal harassment and retaliation, and employee misconduct.
- Investigations regarding allegations of employee misconduct, violations of applicable policy and procedure, and allegations of harassment and retaliation.
- Investigation for Seattle Public Schools regarding whether certain district officials knew or should have known of fraud in a district program. Our investigation led to the district terminating both the Superintendent and the Chief Financial and Operations Officer.
- Investigation regarding claims of workplace harassment and safety concerns against supervisor.
- Investigation for local community college regarding claims of race discrimination and violations of workplace policies.
Yarmuth Wilsdon provides general counseling and assistance for everyday questions and issues. Our attorneys pride themselves on their ability to be a resource for their clients, by offering preventative counseling, and helping their clients to identify and minimize risk. Attorneys from Yarmuth Wilsdon also conduct trainings for managers and employees on harassment and discrimination, discipline and discharge, and general compliance with employment and labor laws.